direkt zum Inhalt springen

direkt zum Hauptnavigationsmenü

Sie sind hier

TU Berlin

Page Content

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

On this page, you'll find a selection commonly adressed to the student advisory service. Should you do not find the answer to your question, or if you have further questions, you can join us during our office hours, call us or send us an email.


Due to the current situation, the university is in the period of essential-only presence.


Up-to-date information from the examination office can be found here: Examination Office

Up-to-date general information about the TU Berlin can be found here: TUB-Newsportal.

If you have any questions, please, feel free to write on the forum in our ISIS course or send us an email. The email addresses you can find on our website.

Exams in times of Corona

In person exams started again in June 2020. 

Exams for the current semester started on 20.07.


Should you not be able to participate in an in-person exam because you cannot travel or you are at high risk you can request a change of the type of your exam. This is done via a free-form request that needs to include a justification (reasons) to the examination board.


Registration takes place via: see the posting Examination Registration.


There's a new regulation regarding free attempts that was passed at the end of September 2020 and will come into effect as soon as it's publishes. Following this regulation, exams taken and failed in the summersemester 2020 and the wintersemester 2020/2021 will not count as an attempt. This will be implented by the examination office automatically, it is not necessary to request it.

Free attempts due to Corona

Information regarding the free attempts due to the corona virus are available on the news page of the examination office under Examinations. The English version of this page is incomplete, so please check the German version or get in touch with us in case of questions.

Short version: Failed exams during the summer semester 2020 and winter semester 2020 / 2021 will not count as taken. Not appearing is not covered by this, so please deregister or hand in a sick note.
This is automatically implemented by the examination office, no requests need to be made. 

Module registration

In most cases registrations for modules are not required; if necessary, information about the registration process can be found in the modules’ description on the Moses page.

Nevertheless, registrations are needed for most of our tutorials and examinations. Additional information regarding this topic is available in this FAQ and will be given to you in your first lecture.

Examination registration

Due to the current Corona pandemic:

If you want to register for (online) exams, please send the completed registration form (quick access: 186789) to your Examination Office using your personal TUB e-mail account.


For mandatory or mandatory elective modules:

In most cases necessary information will be given to you in your first lecture.

Almost all examination registrations utilize QISPOS. It can be found on your personal TUB page after login.

For additional modules and free electives:

You need a yellow paper form which can be found in the main building, in the corridor across the campus center. The filled-out form has to be signed by the modules‘ associated Chair or Department and submitted to the Examination Office.

Please contact the associated Chair or Department immediately after missing a registration deadline!

Deadlines, repeat examinations

Currently due to Corona:

You are not required to apply for an extension to the examination board for repeat examinations which are either cancelled or from which you withdraw during the current period. The deadlines for repeat examinations will be automatically extended to the winter semester 2020/21. In other words deadlines which expire on 31.3.2020 or 30.9.2020 will be automatically extended until 31.3.2021 (the same procedure as applies to academic leave of absence).

Attention! However, this information does not apply to deadlines that expired before 12.03.2020, which still require an application for an extension of the deadline.

According to General Study and Examination Regulations (AllgStuPO) failed exams must be repeated within a period of approximately 12 to 18 months. A precise overview of deadlines is below https://www.eecs.tu-berlin.de/menue/studium_und_lehre/studiengaenge/elektrotechnik/beratung_und_service/pruefungsausschuss/fristenuebersicht/

Exams can be repeated (if only they have not been passed!) up to 2 times. The second repeat usually takes place in form of oral exam. Those, who cannot meet the repeat-deadline because of reasons, that are not their own fault, can submit an application for an extension to the examination board.

missed the sign up deadline, what now?

If you've missed a deadline in a module, regardless of whether that's to sign up for the tutorial, the Lab or the exam, talk to the people responsible for the course as soon as possible.

You could for example talk to the professor after the lecture or write an email to the WiMi. Depending on the situation it might still be possible to get you signed up.

To top

I cannot find my course on ISIS.

There are several possible reasons for that:

  1. The courses might only be made available shortly before the start of the term as the chairs are still working on them. If there's still time, just keep cool and wait a bit. The same is valid for courses with passwords.
  2. The ISIS course title might not match the module title exactly. Try individual keywords from the module title or it's associated courses.
  3. The class might not use ISIS (very rare).

ISIS courses and passwords as far as required are always announced in the first lecture.

Additionally most courses are sorted into a course category. You can find the different categories if you click on "All courses" in the left menue and then scroll down below the news posts. The categories are mostly by organisation structure so you'll find a list of all the faculties and central institutes. Most of your courses will belong to Faculty IV. The individual courses are listed per institute. The module description contains the associated institute in the header.

Courses not in our faculty are economics ones which can be found at Faculty VII. And math courses which can be found under Faculty II at the institute of mathematics. Similarly physics classes will be found at the Faculty II but in the course area "Physics service for engineering and natural sciences".

Language classes from ZEMS can be found under the central institutes at the central institute modern languages. (If you want to use the language course as an electrive, please make sure your language course is usable in your degree - that means, is not a requirement for admission to it.)

You can also go to the website of the chair responsible for the module, some have links to the courses in their teaching section. Or you can try the course catalogue, where sometimes a link to ISIS is included.

If all that failed and the course actually takes place in this semester (some modules are strechted over two semesters, check the module description) - please contact the named contact person or professor responsible for the module.

I cannot find my tutorial on Moses, why?

If there is no tutorial for a module on Moses, there could be several reasons for that:

  • the chair has not entered this module yet, please, check again later;
  • the module does not include a tutorial, this should be usually announced at the first lecture, if this is not the case or if you still have doubts, ask the chair;
  • registration for the tutorial for this module does not go through Moses, take a look on an ISIS-course or wait for the first lecture, because it is usually announced there.

Tutorials for Moses, ISIS, LSF etc.

You do not know how to create and/or organise your schedule, how to do the tutorial registration or to enrol in an ISIS course?

And what does Moses, ISIS und LSF mean, exactly?

So many questions - but you are not alone! Each semester there is a bunch of questions from students about those virtual portals of TU Berlin: what you can use it for and how to use it. To clear this question in the most easiest way, following tutorial videos were recorded: http://mentoring.eecs.tu-berlin.de/de/hilfe-tutorials/

To top

"Declaration on Commencing Studies"

The "Declaration on Commencing Studies" should be submitted to the Office of Examinations before the first exam. You can find the form here

Should you have forgotten to do that, you can submit it at a later time.

Proof of English proficiency

To be admitted to most of the master programs at Faculty IV, you have to prove that your knowledge of the English language corresponds to level B2 or higher on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). 

For English language level B2 the qualifications shown here serve as the lower limiting value.

Tutorial registration

Most tutorials use the Moses system for registration.

For more information see Tutorials for Moses, ISIS, LSF etc.

Office hours

Due to the current situation of essential-only presence at the TU Berlin, there are no office hours at the moment.

If you have any questions, you can contact us directly via meet@ISIS during our virtual office hours, ask your question on one of the forums here on ISIS page, or write us an email. The email addresses you can find on our website.

Number of courses per semester

There is no mandatory number of courses one has to take in a single semester.


In the recommended degree schedules there are usually 30 credits per semester, which translate to roughly 5 modules. This is not obligatory.


I got my Bachelors degree at a different university. How do I apply for a Master at TU Berlin?

Information on how to apply for a Master's degree at TU Berlin can be found on the office of student affairs websites.

The application is done via uniassist. The uniassist fees for Master applications are covered by the TU Berlin.


If the application is sucessful is decided in two layers: entry requirements and admission.

The entry requirements check if you are qualified for the master.

  1. Formal requirements
    Bachelor's degree or in some cases an ECTS certificate
  2. Language skills: German, English or both
    If the language of teaching is German you need a certificate in German (See table "Key Information" on the faculty website for the degree). Typically, if the degree's website at faculty level is only available in German this is the case). Additionally most of our Master degrees also require English language skills. These are listed with the subject specific requirements.
    The lists of certificates represent minimal requirements. Other proof of proficiency than the ones listed will not be accepted.
  3. Subject-Specific requirements
    This is about necessary knowledge in the area of your degree, typically given as credit requirements in different areas for example 20 credits in mathematics. The specific requirements for each degree are listed on its webseite.

If the entry requirements are fulfilled, admission is the next step.
In the case of a non-restricted admission everybody who fulfills the entry requirements is admitted.
In the case of restricted admission a ranking of applicants that fulfill the entry requirements is made and offers of admission are sent to the top ranked people according to the available places. Should they not enroll inside the deadline, offers of admission are made to the next ranked applicants. You can check the past cut-off criteria on the central websites.

How to select a study area in the Masters degree?

The Master degrees at our faculty are organised in study areas which allow students to specialize. You never officially select a study area. But while choosing (and registering!) your compulsory electives you have to fulfill the requirements in your study regulations.

The study regulations expect a certain amount of credits in one or more study areas and thus enforce a degree of specialization. It is thus very important to spend some time with the study regulations and the module catalogue to make a rough plan and update that each semester so you don't have to take additional modules at the end to fulfill the requirements of your degree.

Which projects have to be completed in the ISM Master?

You have to complete projects worth at least 12CP combined.
It is possible to, for example, finish one project worth 12CP or two projects that, together are worth at least 12CP.

I am a refugee and want to study at TU Berlin

Refugees are allowed to continue or begin their studies at TU Berlin within the In(2)TU Program. You will be a guest student, so you can complete courses while you have not yet fullfilled all the necessary admission and language requirements. The student counseling is the best place to ask for question on that matter: www.studienberatung.tu-berlin.de/menu/studieren/in2tu_berlin/parameter/en/

I want to change my course of study. What do I have to do?

If you want to change to a program offered by faculty 4, you might want to think about if you want to enroll in a higher semester. This is approved by the examination board based on courses you have completed that can considered part of the program you want to change to. This process might take some time and has to be completed before you apply for the new program, so keep this in mind when you go that route.

If you have completed fewer than 30CP worth of modules, you will have to apply for the first semester.

Registering for additional module and elective examinations

If you want to take modules outside of your current degree program, you can take up to 60 ECTS in additional modules. These have to be registered personally at the examination office via the "yellow sheet" form (or during Corona the equivalent online version). Typically the professor responsible for the module needs to sign the registration form.

Additional modules have no effect on passing the degree and they do not affect your overall grade.
Modules that have been registered as additional modules can not (ever) be converted into regular modules while in the same degree. They can be used for application requirements or be used in a new degree program.
Upon request additional module results can be listed on your degree certificate.


Registering non compulsory electives works the same way, however these affect passing the degree and can affect your overall grade, depending on your study regulations.

Degree theses in business

In general, it is possible to complete your Bachelors or Masters thesis at a business. Both the first and second evaluators have to be part of TU Berlin (and at least one of them of the faculty 4). It is often difficult to find an evaluator knowledgeable in your desired subject who is willing to supervise an external project. Just like usual, it is up to students to find evaluators for their thesis.

What are "Fachmentorien"?

"Fachmentorien" are a type of class aimed specifically at students who do not have German as their mother tongue and are open to all students who feel the need for these additional classes. They are additional classes, currently only available for some Bachelor modules and are focused on reducing learning barriers due to language problems.

Further information can be found here.

Will I be exmatriculated if I fail a mendatory or free elective three times?

Yes! before that happens there may be the option the exchange that module, more on that topic see Exchange Of Modules.

Exchange of Modules

When you fail a Module form the mandatory or free electives you can exchange it for a different one before you fail the final attempt. Within the standard period of study you can do this an unlimited number of times, outside of that only once per study area. The exchange has to happen within the deadline to repeat the exam. You can only exchange a module for one that you have not passed yet.

The form to do that can be found here.

How can I transfer credits from my old university?

This is the responsibility of the examination board. You have to fill out the "Application for Recognition of Previously Obtained Credits (Part B)" and send it in to them. This form is not available in English right now, but can be found here:


The courses of your old uni you want to use have to be equivalent to a course of your study program. This will deemed so (or not so) by the professor teaching said course. They might also be able to help you with filling out the form, but if they can't (or don't want to), you can also send us a mail or visit us during our office hours and we'll help you instead.

If you want to get the courses accepted as part of the free elective area of your program, it does not have to be equivalent to anything and you will get by without talking to professors of TU Berlin (for now).

Zusatzinformationen / Extras

Quick Access:

Schnellnavigation zur Seite über Nummerneingabe

Auxiliary Functions

This site uses Matomo for anonymized webanalysis. Visit Data Privacy for more information and opt-out options.

Contact and Office Hours

Student Advisory Service