Please submit your application to the program through our application portal .
Requirements and application procedure
The deadline for applications for stipends starting October 2017 is March 15, 2017.
Candidates admitted to the program are expected to hold a Masters degree (or equivalent) in a relevant subject (e.g., neuroscience, cognitive science, computer science, physics, …) and have the required advanced mathematical background. Please apply through the BCCN application portal . In case of technical problems with the registration in the portal, please contact the coordination office: graduateprograms @ bccn-berlin.de You will be required to submit the following documents:
- curriculum vitae (including a list of publications, if applicable);
- letter of motivation;
- copies of certificates and transcripts of records;
- proof of proficiency in English;
- description of Master thesis of equivalent;
- project proposal for future PhD work within the scientific focus of the Research Training Group  (recommended approximately 1000-1500 words including bibliography);
- names of potential supervisors (NB: candidates are strongly encouraged to contact potential supervisors and discuss potential projects with them before the application deadline).
- two letters of reference must be sent by the reference persons per email within deadline directly to: graduateprograms @ bccn-berlin.de
Selection: Successful applicants of the first round will be invited to Berlin for 2-3 days to meet their potential supervisors and present themselves to the faculty of the program by giving a short presentation and an interview. The applicants should prepare a 15 min presentation of their master or diploma thesis including a description of their motivation for the future PhD project. Selection criteria include:
- competence and research experience in CNS/machine learning;
- proficiency in English;
- mathematical background;
- scientific and educational track record;
- research interests and motivation.
The Research Training Group plans to offer PhD scholarships to 5 selected doctoral students.
If you are a funded PhD student in the field of Computational Neuroscience and are interested in joining a structured PhD program, you can apply for association to the Doctoral Program  of the Bernstein Center for Computational Neuroscience Berlin .